Monday, September 08, 2008

No more tears?

Enjoying his radio flyerAs a hopeful sign that Zachary is fully back into his routine and comfort zone, I was able to put him to bed tonight without any crying -- while I was in Japan, Meh reported that he was taking a while to settle at night, so maybe he just feels more settled with the whole family together again?

Today also marks the day Zachary turns 13 months old. Yes, I've got to update the stats counter on the blog to start counting in months instead of weeks at some point. (And then soon enough we'll just be counting in years - crazy!)

Skin conditions are a natural part of being a baby (most parents we've talked to have confirmed that 'baby-soft skin' is somewhat of a myth/misnomer). Zachary had a little baby acne thing going, so today I took him to the doctor and they gave us an antibiotic. Thus far I've got three complaints:

  1. Why does it have to be pink? Okay, fine, it's "cherry flavored", but does that really help 'sell' the taste experience to Zachary? All this means is that we stain his pajamas, the floor, and our own clothes when we administer it. Clear would be just as effective medicinially I suspect.

  2. The dosage is 6 mL. The pharmacy was kind enough to give us a dosing syringe -- but with markings only up to 5 mL. So yes, it takes two draws to get the proper medicine out of the bottle, by which time he's again squirming free.

  3. Children's medication is always ridiculously sticky. This is icky twofold -- from #1 above, we end up getting it on us (and Zachary around his mouth, on his clothes, etc.), and secondly, even just drawing it from the bottle, you end up with a syringe that's sticky inside and out. So now I'm fishing around for kleenex or wipes for Zachary, myself, the floor, and the syringe.

Loving his breakfastChanging Zachary is becoming more and more of a challenge - he hates being laid on his back and is constantly trying to roll away. Meh has mastered the art of the standing and crawling changes, but I'm still too afraid of, um, something rolling away onto the floor when I open the moving diaper target. For now I have to resort to distraction (toys, songs, and tummy raspberries) to get him to somewhat stay still, but I suspect this won't last much longer...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, the traveling diaper change.....So much fun.....Jakub now has the strangest assortment of items on his changing table: a clothespin, some paper, a vibrating massager, a half-empty water bottle, and, when I'm really desperate, my cell phone. Fun times.