Home at last! Another long trip away, and it was very good to be back; the little man was already asleep when I got home, so hope he's happy to see me in the morning! Meh was baking today, and Zachary simply had to watch - so in came the step stool, and up he went to check out the mixer. Note how blankie had to come with him.I had a great time visiting friends M, K, and their nearly two-month-old daughter N. I couldn't believe how tiny she was when M and K let me hold her! And even her noises were tiny; I remember when Zachary was unhappy at restaurants as an infant, we'd quickly scurry out. With N, I felt like I could barely hear her across the table (not that she was making much noie to begn with) - though I'm sure M and K are a bit more sensitive to it than I was. :)
M and K have an incredible home outside of Forth Worth, and baby N's room is very sweetly decorated for when she's ready to check it out. (For last night, M's friend A, visiting from Chicago at the same time as me, got to borrow N's room). The five of us hopped into Fort Worth to enjoy the lovely vegan restaurant I'd visited with them last year. I had the 'Paul Reuben', made with faux corned beef and faux cheese (or as the menu called it, 'cheez') -- it was super yum. We headed home in the afternoon and passed the time with a few rounds of cards. We actually attempted to indoctrinate K into the 4-player Michigan classic known as euchre, but N refused to be part of such a backwards Midwestern game, so instead the three of us played hearts. For whatever reason, I had the game of my life and ended up winning with 8 points; I jokingly asked where the nearest casino was, but I think that would've been pushing what little luck I had. Instead we had friend S (another Seattle-to-Forth Worth transplant) grab some tasty takeout tex-mex and come by for dinner and catching up.
M's friend A headed home early the next morning, but the four of us got to eat breakfast at the Fort Worth classic diner, where baby N was the center of attention for staff and patrons alike. And yes, all three adults again had to answer "no" when the incredulous waitress asked if we really didn't want any meat with our breakfasts. A quick trip through the entertainingly large and varied Central Market and a take home Thai lunch, and I was back on the road to the airport. A huge thanks to M and K for hosting me, and to N for letting me occasionally hold her - it was good to get a little practice in!
No comments:
Post a Comment