Several months ago when we got our utility bill of all things, I noticed a corner of it announced that the local firehouse was going to be having a pancake breakfast. Since our favorite monkey had a related adventure, I knew this would be right up the boys' alley -- but I wasn't sure if I could brave taking them alone, as Meh works this weekend. Enter Uncle J, who volunteered to come along, and with whom we spent a lovely morning -- first at the breakfast and then having a lovely sushi lunch. Thanks for helping me wrangle our little firefighters, Uncle J!
From the moment I mentioned the activity this morning, both boys were super excited. O even ran upstairs and put on the little fireman's costume jacket (which he was reluctant to take off even when we got to the very sunny and warm event), and both boys insisted on wearing their bright red hats. When we arrived, a number of activities were in full swing: they were demonstrating the jaws of life on an overturned car in the parking lot (O: "Why is that car upside down?"), wrapping up the torching of a room to demonstrate what happens with and without sprinklers, getting ready to dash up their practice fire escapes with hoses, and of course serving lots and lots of pancakes and eggs. The boys would have none of it though, making a beeline through the table and chair-filled firehouse to the ambulance and fire truck themselves, which were parked outside. A nice fireman helped each of them up into the cab of the fire engine, commenting on their hats ('real' firemen don't wear such things anymore apparently), and then they dashed up onto the back of the ambulance for a fabulous photo op. It was an excellent morning activity, followed up by a hearty lunch with uncle J.
No comments:
Post a Comment