Sunday, May 09, 2010

Sight Reader

Small smileZachary has a(nother) favorite new book for us to 'read book again'. (Incidentally, he's added substantially more 3 word sentences, including 'bessu dahdee' [bless you daddy], and even a 4-word sentence: "Want eat high chair!") In the book, a little girl pig decides she's going to be a one-girl band. Halfway through the book, her 'band' (consisting of pots, pans, etc.) is together, and there's a giant fold out of sheet music. From the first time Zachary read the book, he's readily identified that page as "mah-sah!" (music). Smart little music man! I expect an analysis of the score's chord progressions within the week.

At the premiereAnd speaking of music, last night was the premiere of one of my orchestral compositions by a wonderful Seattle orchestra! It was a piece I'd first sketched out several years ago, and had just wrapped up literally as Owen arrived; I recall working on final parts a day or two after we got home from the hospital. Meh, Owen, and grandma (who flew in yesterday from Michigan) all came to the concert, which was unfortunately past Zachary's bedtime. And our friend J (who used to nanny for Z) came with her nearly Owen-aged daughter M; they were all joking about the babies' first chaperoned date. The kids did great; I heard someone squeaking a bit from the rear of the hall during my piece, but it wasn't even them. Meh reported that the loud bits started Owen a bit (it's a very 'live' hall), but he didn't cry or anything. The piece went really well and I was so honored and excited that the orchestra played it; I'm looking forward to hearing the recording soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Scott's composition and the performance were amazing. I don't understand how you compose music but I sure do enjoy listening to it. Love, Mom (your #1 Fan)