Thursday, December 06, 2012

Weekend Update

Zachary occasionally brings home completed assignments where the kids talk about what's going on outside of school. The teacher helps them write down what happened, then they write their own letters over the highlighter and draw a picture. Recent examples:

"Over the weekend I went to the pumkin [sic] patch with mommy." (It was actually three weeks earlier. Should we be worried about misspellings by teachers?)

"Over the weekend I watched Toy Story with Owen." (I think the same could be said of most days of the week, but respectably accurate.)

"Over the weekend I had Thanksgiving with my brother. I ate apple crisp." (There were about ten other people. There was no apple crisp.)

Apparently we're not alone in having a kid that brings home contents that only mildly jive with reality, as our neighbor reported during today's playdate that her daughter often similarly has at best fanciful events to report. We were therefore extremely impressed to see Z appearing to start to grasp the assignment with the piece of paper that came home today:

"Over the weekend I went to a party. I had cake. I put bubbles on my face."

He did indeed go to friend N's birthday party, at an excellent local bounce house! (N is 7. His friends are 7. There was much raucous wildness. I fear for our future.) And he even ate cake - though Z appears to disdain icing, and somehow managed to eat the two layers of chocolate cake while leaving an impressive pile of Costco icing in his wake. (As pictured, he also ate tortilla chips for the first time, though eventually they got "too spicy".) The bubbles on his face, well, last week one night in the bath he was doing that, so we'll call that close enough to the weekend. Go Z!

No comments: