At long last, about two months since my last haircut and more than a month since shaving, the hair came off today, at the barber in the morning and with the electric shaver in the evening. (Note to self: as with paint and cleaning products, best to try the shaver in an inconspicuous area first to see how it goes. My poor 10+ year-old electric had never seen such a workout, struggled throughout the process, and I think it was near meltdown by the end.)










We'll have to see if Zachary recognizes his daddy come morning...
Zachary's latest vocal exercise involves what Meh calls gargling, but what I think sounds cooler when termed alveolar trilling. Take a listen to him here.
I read through a fascinating book several months before Zachary about how all babies effectively learn (and then unlearn) all of the possible sounds of human language before honing in on their own. I know it's silly, but to try to encourage him to keep his options open (rather than struggling with things like daddy's issues with the trilled 'erre' sound in Spanish), I've been saying words to him with more exotic non-English sounds like 'perro' and 'Xhosa' (which starts with a clicking sound). He really loves the clicking sound for some reason, and it generally results in big open-mouthed smiles. I think he has also started clicking, though not predictably yet. We also of course listen to his world music CD, though those songs tend to consist of primarily English or Romance language lyrics.
No comments:
Post a Comment