Who needs contemporary music? That great disco hit, "Shake Your Booty," from the *cough* year that I was born, is Zachary's clear favorite - Meh has made it a runaway hit with him. Any time Zachary's unhappy, it cheers him up. Any time he's already happy, he may just explode with a giant smile, laughter, kicking, and yes, shaking of said booty. Shaking of an object while singing (the Zachary-appropriate lyrics are actually "Shake your rattle") is seemingly optional, though his plastic fish rattle is the most preferred implement if you have to shake something (besides your own booty). Oh, and he does seem to prefer if you sing the accompanimental bits. (e.g. "Shake shake shake, dih-doo, dih-doo-doo...")Today I used the song on multiple occasions: to defuse clothes-changing fussiness; to entertain him when he was getting bored of reading (a fabulous out-of-print Richard Scarry book, mind you); when he got mad about getting ready to go in the car for our visit to mommy at work; and to demonstrate to grandma via video conference just how well that darn tune works for him.
He was incidentally spectacularly giggly this evening. He later reenacted his performance for mommy with even more laughter. I made a recording, but his hysterical sounds are so close to screaming that I think we'll withhold it until a video recording can help explain that he's actually just really happy.Zachary appears to be quite musical already; he definitely recognizes the Naked Baffy Time theme song (which lands him with a giant smile). And we've discussed his love of his world music CD (which thankfully we are not tiring of either, though Meh and I both veto a track or two) and uncle Brian's superb Laurie Berkner mix. What's more impressive is that if I sing or hum notes from any of these tunes, he immediately appears to recognize them, smile, and get all kicky. He seems to have less reaction to my own song for him, so that one may end up on the cutting room floor. Tough crowd!
No comments:
Post a Comment