Thursday, October 18, 2007

Songs in the key of Z

(Want more pics and info on Zachary's adventures in the maize maze? Check out K & M's excellent blog entry on the event!)

Smiling awayWe've already discussed to some length Zachary's current music listening habits; his dancing time in the morning is often one of the best ways to calm down any fussiness, and we're actually getting pretty good at singing along with his tunes (even the foreign language world music songs). But I haven't covered our current Zachary-themed "original" compositions, both of which appear to be able to lodge themselves in your head for extended periods. I remember an NPR story a year or so back about these kinds of 'ear worms' (songs that get stuck in your head), I think translated from some German scientists who were studying the phenomenon. (Incidentally, there are apparently even websites specifically geared to suggesting songs that cancel these Ohrwurms out of your head.)

Song #1: Zachary David (Music and Constantly Changing Lyrics by Scoot)
I made this one up pretty soon after he was born. I envision it as a Blues Traveler kind of acoustic thing, with guitar and perhaps a harmonica. Or something. Someday maybe I'll even record it so we can *really* embarass him (and/or me). The rhythm also works with the name Korben Dallas, so if Korby is looking at me with the sad eyes that say he isn't getting enough attention during a performance of the song, I sometimes include him in the lyrics as well. Wow, that makes me feel like it's a lounge lizard act or something. Anyway, the (default) lyrics are:
Zachary David is a good good boy,
Zachary David, he's my pride and joy,
Zachary David is my little man,
Zachary David, he's as cute as he can [be],
Zachary David, is a good good boy (optional: "well uh-huh")
Incidentally, the lyrics are totally flexible and change frequently. This seems to be the version that I always come back to though, even with that totally weak rhyme on the fourth line. Should I be worried that my song essentially fits the standard limerick rhyming scheme?

Naked bathy timeSong #2: Bathy Time (Music and Lyrics by Meh)
This one has become Zachary's power ballad, particularly in the moments leading up to, well, evening bathy time. I caught Mima singing it, and I too hum it on occasion out of nowhere. Meh sung it to me yesterday on the phone, and apparently even Zachary got confused when he heard it while the tub wasn't being filled with water. Pure brilliance, demonstrating a true economy of language (only three words):
Naked bathy time!
Naked bathy time!
Naked time, bathy time,
Naked bathy time!
I think the melody really carries this one, with a nice ascending line at the end. Wow, music dorkiness at its finest. Post-bathy timeBut it totally works; I sang it to him last night as we got ready for the bath, and he had one of the happiest, mellowest baths yet. I think he practically fell asleep. Of course I still suck at the towel drying bit, so he got good and angry with me before I was able to get him swaddled and to bed. I'll have to learn more soothing tunes from the master, and/or prepare a new song for the occasion ("Naked Towel Time"?)

1 comment:

cupcakegrl said...

I must make one correction on the lyrics: it's actually naked *baffy* time. That's just to confuse Zachary even more than all the "meh-ing" does. He may never speak correctly!