Friday, June 27, 2008

He shakes off the sign...

Mr. Mischief or Mr. Happy?The head shaking that we hadn't consistently seen for months is back, and it certainly seems to be much more consistent -- in one particular situation.

Zachary's already demonstrated clear food preferences; Cheerios are at the top of the list, followed closely by string cheese. (Both of them elicit screeches of happiness and smiles as he first starts eating them.) Then, for the longest time, sweet potatoes were a close third, followed by a virtual tie between blueberries, grapes, peaches, and yogurt with applesauce. However, in recent days, he's been shaking his head every time we offer him a spoonful of sweet potatoes or yogurt. At first, I didn't think he was saying 'no', since after a shake or two, he'd eventually give in and eat. Then I thought perhaps his tastes were changing and he was finally getting sick of his previous favorite foods. But I'm often able to distract him into eating them by rotating through the other finger food favorites before offering the spoon. Still, the head shaking resumes after a spoonful or two.

Meh stumbled on a potential reason for the rejection today -- it may not be the food, but rather the presentation. It seems he may already be expressing a preference to feed himself; when the previously favorite sweet potatoes were dumped onto his tray, he happily gobbled them up, generating this excellently messy video:

Meh also tried offering him the spoon to see if he wanted to take it and feed himself, but he either still emphatically shook his head at it, or did what I've seen him do in the past: grab the food-side of the spoon and shove it (along with his hand) into his mouth. I'm sure we'll get to proper table manners at some point, though I'm in no rush to send him off to finishing school just yet.

No comments: