Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Say it soft and it's almost like praying

One of Zachary's favorite books at the moment is this board book about Chanukah. We often have to read it 2 or 3 times (after which time Meh and I can invoke a parental veto) before bed and naptimes. I generally ask Zachary what he wants to read, and he's got a few words relating to various books -- "ba" for the Berenstain Bears, "fa-fa" for Frances, "pah" for More Pants, and now "ha-ha" for that Chanukah book.

However, I think he's picked up that when I pronounce Chanukah, there's a very non-English sounding kh sound (or ch, Ḥ, ח, or whatever) at the beginning of the word. And sure enough, in the last day or two, when he asks for the book, he very clearly has started saying "ha-kkkkha!", with a big old guttural accent on the second syllable. Cute little Hebrew-speaking man!

No comments: