Happy 2010! In addition to being the new year, today is my birthday. Yes, it's fun that my birthday is brought in with fireworks and a ball dropping, though it also apparently meant a missed tax break for my parents (sorry mom!), and of course means potential birthday parties are either competing with New Years Eve parties or friends' hangovers or ongoing vacations the next day. :)Suffice it to say we didn't actually stay up until midnight last night. Consulting with other friends with kids, it sounds like surviving to 'east coast midnight' (that is, 9 pm PST) is a feat in and of itself. That said, we were of course woken up by our pyromaniacal neighborhood's traditional midnight fireworks display; somehow Zachary did manage to sleep through the crackles and booms, much as he did for the Fourth of July.
Anyway, I wanted to just do something mellow and low key for my birthday, so this morning we had a fabulous brunch/open house. It was really great, with many friends coming by, as well as quite a few kids -- Zachary did great sharing his toys, and I had a wonderful time; it was so nice to fill the house with our friends and get to catch up after not seeing many of them for some time. Meh had aimed to keep it mellow and low key as well, which of course still meant an incredible spread of freshly-filled cannoli (when I discovered they were back after a long absence Costco, I actually had grabbed and wrapped up a box for Meh for Chanukah -- it was fun to surprise her with a wrapped gift in the freezer), a wide selection of bagels, vegetables, fruits, two quiches, and of course Meh wanted to make me the birthday cake of my choice.
Cake-wise, I really had no idea this year, and wasn't sure how we'd top the yumminess of the past few years, which had featured Meh-made apple-caramel cake (2009), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cupcakes (2008), and a DeLorean cake (2007). Breaking out of the (cake?) mold, I opted for a lemon meringue pie, which was of course amazing, and apparently had been Meh's special recipe to create for papa's birthdays when she was growing up. Zachary wanted to be "up!" as the pie was being created yesterday, so the step stool came out so he could watch the mixer. While he doesn't yet help in the kitchen (or spend much time playing with his own wooden kitchen, other than occasionally shaking his toy salt & pepper shakers like castanets), he's hugely interested in anything involving the KitchenAid.And yes, to the title of this post, Meh had her shoes off while she was slaving over the pie (made entirely from scratch, even the crusts!). Have I mentioned I have the best and most dedicated wife in the world? Happy birthday to me indeed!
No comments:
Post a Comment