Wednesday, January 02, 2008

In like a... turtle?

(No lions here, except of course in Zachary's Laurie Berkner tunes.)

Zachary and grandmaHappy new year to everyone! So New Years Day rolled around, which happens to be my birthday. I had no idea what was planned for the day, which of course made me immediately suspicious that there might be a surprise party in the making. Meh had taken dramatic steps to hide the whole thing from me, but I think the whole absence of some kind of event, even something low-key like our night-before's festivities, made me guess that something was up. Well, that and accidentally walking in on Meh working on the invitation last week. (Honestly, I just saw a list of names in a text document - I wouldn't have thought twice if she hadn't practically pushed me out of our office!)

Still, I didn't know what or when things would be happening -- though when my mom took Zachary and me out to look for a new watch (for me) and Meh said to be back by a specific time, I had a feeling... The mall was thankfully mellowed out from the holiday craziness, though the trip itself was a pretty dismal failure. (When you explain what you're looking for, what kind of store shows you a watch with a $2980 price tag?!? Then other stores laughed us out of the door when I mentioned the price range we were looking for. Jeez, who buys these things?) Side note - we got halfway through the mall when Zachary's grandma noticed he had one sock-free foot. We figured all hope was lost of its recovery, but I retraced our steps back the way we came in, and sure enough, the tiny piece of white cloth was sitting on the ground (next to a jewelry display that I guarantee housed pieces costing less than that blasted watch). This makes me two-for-two on recovering lost Zachary clothing items; I rescued a dropped shoe from the Target parking lot a few weeks ago. Of course, now that I've pointed it out, I'm sure he'll lose an unrecoverable piece of clothing the next time I take him out.

Zachary with J after the surpriseSo we drove back from the mall. Scanning the street outside of our house, I didn't see an obscene number of cars, so I wondered if we were maybe doing something later in the evening. Zachary was of course sound asleep in his car seat, as he often is during/after car rides. I pulled into the garage and carried him inside, still in the car seat. It was then that I noticed the balloons, and a few seconds later, a group of friends standing around the corner yelled "SURPRISE!" Zachary's eyes flew open - his first surprise party. I thought he might cry, but he just looked around wide-eyed and took it all in.

TMNT tastiness on a tiered trayThe party was wonderful - Meh had made it Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle-themed, complete with magnificent turtle cupcakes (served on a tray Zachary's grandma had brought as a Chanukah gift for Meh), a yummy cake, and TMNT napkins, plates, and balloons. Rounded out with snacks, drinks, tasty appetizers, and dips, it was a wonderful surprise -- and a great opportunity to catch up with friends we hadn't seen in weeks (or in the case of a few friends from our new years eve party, perhaps sixteen hours). Hooray for Meh for planning such a wonderful and tasty party!

Today I am... 8 years old? Teenage mutant ninja cupcakes Zachary celebrates

No comments: