We met up at the ferry about an hour before it was scheduled to depart. The gate attendant teased us for showing up earlier than the ferry ride itself takes (about 40 minutes), and recommended we check out the excellent bakery a few blocks away if we wanted to kill some time. First we got in line (we were car #2 mind you), and Meh noticed a large flying shape alight on the dock tower -- a beautiful bald eagle. Alas, my camera's zoom is pretty lame, but the bird itself was spectacular, and hung around for a long time on the left, um, spire?
Next we met up with most of the rest of the choir and set off on foot for that highly recommended bakery. It didn't disappoint, with a wide array of tasty goodies on display, including (I kid you not) a giant doughnut cut in half and filled with buttercream. Perhaps a little heavy duty for brunch, so we settled on a bear claw for Meh and a blueberry turnover thing for me. Then back to the ferry in time to load 'em up and head out.I'm always impressed with how they're able to pack so many cars into these things; one of the advantages/disadvantages to being the #2 car in line was that we got to drive most of the way through the boat and get one of the front-most spots. "Disadvantage" because the ferries use raised ramps along the sides to fit more cars, and we ended up on the treacherously steep incline back down to the deck of the ship. With our e-brake, ferry-supplied parking blocks, and prayers for no big waves to tip our car into the sound all firmly in place, we headed up to the passenger area for the short trip.
Zachary didn't seem to notice/mind any chop, though he later spotted a few following seagulls coasting alongside us, and appeared to get a little afraid of them for a moment. But other than that, he and fellow baby E had a nice time on the ferry. We docked, drove off, and headed to the recording studio/house.The building is large but very cozy, with a wide-open floor plan and even a guest 'room'/loft that's reached via a ladder bolted to a back wall. Of course, the wide-open floor plan means that visitors to recording sessions have to remain quiet, which Zachary and E were likely going to occasionally disagree with. So our entourage, consisting of E (with her dad and grandmother) and Zachary (with me), headed out to a coffee shop a few miles away to hang out for a few hours. I was expecting a small quaint little coffee shop, but of course it was a Tully's; even out on the peninsula, the chains have made their presence known. Zachary napped for a bit, then we walked around the shop looking at what to me looked like a large number of left-over Christmas coffee flavors and paraphernalia. (I guess some of them still qualify as 'winter'?)
Back to the recording studio for Zachary's lunch (though he delayed that by sleeping for a good 45+ minutes in the parked car; there was a steady drizzle of rain that I think perhaps simulated his rain-on-the-roof CD), then we headed back out once more to let the group get some more recording in. This time I aimed for 'downtown' Port Orchard, which has a cute little strip of shops and of course a waterfront (hence the name 'port'); I stopped in front of a cute promising-looking bakery, and we all went in and checked out more goodies, plus some impressively decorated cakes that I know Meh and other Ace of Cakes fans would appreciate. I ended up picking up a tasty fresh loaf of rosemary bread. Zachary also got to meet another young boy who I eventually determined was the 4-month-old son of two of the employees (owners?) of the bakery. While I'm sure it's not always ideal, it sounds so appealing to be able to take your infant to work with you every day and just have them around; a few folks at Meh's work have jokingly suggested that we do the same - would patrons really mind a cute little boy smiling (or even sticking out his tongue) at them while receiving excellent service?



No comments:
Post a Comment