Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Making House

Happy Chanukah! O and Z's first chanukah present from Meh and myself was too good to not open immediately (as in, three days before Chanukah): to complement the new coffee table/train table (which is currently topped with a matt technically intended for doll houses and the like), Meh picked up what can only be described as a Playmobil summer dream house (or, as the box stirringly proclaims, "set no. 4857"). Very exciting, with a grill, bikes, bathroom, kitchen, tiny jars of pickles, and more -- a grand total of 323 pieces. Alas, all of the cute tiny things are separately delivered, assembled, and oh-so-easily disassembled. Meh managed to get it all together over the course of an evening (it took several hours), and the next morning, shortly after introducing it to the boys, I found O plucking the tiny flowers from the groundcover, and Z removing the tiny kickstand for the little bicycle. We tried to explain how things were intended to not come apart, but when the boys started pulling trees and partially attached home furnishings, it was time to pack it in. Alas, we were too late to save one tiny sandal from one of the little Playmobil people's feet -- or at least so we thought for most of the day; tonight I put my hands in my sweatshirt pockets and discovered a large, suspiciously solid piece of pocket lint, which turned out to be the lost sandal, surreptiously dropped in my pocket by O. The playset is sadly hiding in the laundry room, perhaps to make a reappearance in the future after strategically and liberally applying superglue.

Both boys have immediately taken to the holiday. Even a few weeks ago at his last swim lesson of the quarter, Z was practicing his "chhhh" sound for the instructor (and alternating between "challah" and "chanukah" for use demonstrations), which had her busting up in laughter. O frequently asks for chocolate gelt, Z has been singing Maoz Tsur, both boys liked lighting the menorahs (especially the train one), and when I put Z to bed this evening, he even whispered "Night night daddy. Happy Chanukah!"

1 comment:

tereza said...

I have to say, though I am of course sorry to hear of the fate of the lovely present, I am glad te hear my boys aren't the only ones who tend to "deconstruct" everything around them. I have given up trying to make playthings out of recycled materials because after spending an hour (or two) making something, they will play with it for 5 mintues and then rip it into teeny, tiny pieces. *sigh* Maybe one day, when they are older.....