Monday, June 04, 2012

Trouble that stands for pool

I've been attempting to get increasingly brave (or is that dumb?) in trying to do activities with both boys that don't involve either or both being confined (to a car, shopping cart, etc.). I walked the boys to the park on Friday - the event went pretty well all things considered; I joked to Meh that I was more or less able to keep the boys within a football field of each other at the somewhat sprawling park near our house (which thankfully at least has decent sightlines).

On Saturday, we returned to the park soon after watching a Curious George episode that prominently featured baseball. (They've actually liked/requested this episode so much that they now sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" as part of their regular rotation.) The boys made the connection and wanted to check out an unused baseball diamond. There happened to be a baseball sitting near home plate, which O promptly picked up and talked about. Then we ran the bases: One last example of trying to handle both boys without the benefit of a stroller/shopping cart: Sundays, Z has swimming lessons. I was solo with the boys this Sunday - which made for interesting challenges getting both boys to the pool on the tail edge of O's nap time, Z changed into his swimsuit, and keeping O entertained poolside during the lesson without him heading into the water. Thankfully O did pretty well, and the only real challenge was afterwards, when both boys wanted to sit in the hot tub and I had trouble getting both to agree to actually come out at the same time. There was a nearly comical round of taking one boy out, trying to get the other one out, and the first stepping right back in. Nonetheless, we did survive, then had bonus fun time at the park across the street before heading home.

The boys find very random turns of phrase to crack up about - and then proceed to echo the words back to each other for hours on end. Here was dinner the night before last:

No comments: