Sunday, July 28, 2013

Cars and trucks and things that go

Driving through downtown Kirkland last week, I saw some signage indicating an upcoming car show. After our roaring success with one the boys and I stumbled across last year, I knew we had to try to be there. Friend B even volunteered to come along - it was slightly stress-reducing to have another set of adult eyes on the rambunctious boys. There was a wonderful variety of cars there from the 1920s up through the present (I was chuckling at one late 1970s wood paneled station wagon, which apparently now qualifies as a 'classic'?), in all different colors and varieties. The boys were of course comparing every car they saw to the Pixar ones, and were particularly pleased to see three different police cars, two of which were close in appearance and livery to Sarge. The third police car was a modern interceptor placed next to a 1930s period City of Kirkland police car with a poster board indicating the many differences in the size/population of the city, police force, capabilities of the vehicles, etc.

But by far the boys' favorite was the bright. red. fire truck. Up until this point I'd been reminding them that these cars were for "decoration" and that they should "look with their eyes" despite them lingering closer and closer (with some wary owners I think keeping a polishing cloth at the ready). But the fire truck specifically had a piece of paper on it indicating that it was fine for touching, climbing, and playing on. The boys were completely thrilled. When I was finally able to pry them away to see more of the actual vehicles, O kept asking if any of these cars also had "pieces of paper" (e.g. could he climb on/in them). We had to make a return trip before heading out, but what a great morning activity for the boys!

No comments: