Thursday, December 13, 2007

Mommy's Day Out (at work)

'Twas the night before Meh's first day back and all through the night,
Little baby Zachary refused to sleep tight.
He groaned and he muttered, his belly it rumbled,
'Till at all hours from bed Mommy (and Daddy) tumbled.

Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep the night before last (or last night, for that matter). There were only a few tears (from me, not Zachary) when I left for my first day back at work, but once I got there I felt much better. There was a sweet "Welcome Back!" sign on my computer, nice notes, and new chocolate for the chocolate bucket (from friend and coworker L). I felt very welcomed, indeed, and had a great day back catching up on the new goings-on. I was very glad to see Zachary (and Scoot) when they visited, because I already missed the cuties.

The two things that marred the day were having to pump at work, and the horrendous migraine I developed as the day went on. Pumping at work made me miss Zachary even more; it was such a lonely and mechanical business. The headache made driving home very tedious, and I only had time to give Zachary "baffy time" (sans song) and nurse him to sleep before I was off to vomit (the high point of any migraine). After that, I felt better, and sat in bed looking at my Chanukah prezzie from Grandma, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.

Just as an aside, when we were in Florida visiting Mima and Papa, Papa brought up how annoying my childhood migraines were. "We couldn't do anything because you always had a headache," Papa complained. Scoot asked if migraines afflicted women more than men. Well, to answer both (though Papa wasn't asking for one), migraines can be triggered in children (and adults, too) by any of several things including: Long gaps between food (duh), Stress, Excitement "as a result of looking forward to a special event (often these can be ruined because the child experiences a migraine)," etc. And, yes, women are more prone than men.

Just in case you were wondering.

1 comment:

katem said...

One word: Imitrex (although I don't know if you can take it while nursing, so I guess you might need a whole lotta extra words then!). Much sympathy. . . .