Thursday, July 31, 2008

Block buster

Ack, I keep getting behind on posting half-finished entries. Today is the day I promise to finally post one on the day I start it!

That whole milestone with standing up in bed appears to have triggered another milestone - Zachary is finally kind of sort of starting to crawl. We've mentioned before how he was able to scoot backwards (particularly effectively in the bathtub). But now he's starting to figure out forward movement. He only uses one leg at the moment - insert lurching humor here. The speed will come soon enough (uh-oh, just in time for wedding flights at the end of August?), but for now he's just so cute to watch moving around.


Carpet edges are among his favorite toys. And speaking of toys, one of Zachary's early birthday presents from Uncle Brian and Aunt Jen was a large box of tactilely satisfying building blocks. Again, the box itself is a bonus toy - he loves pushing it around and turning it over, even when completely full of blocks that easily weigh 5-10 pounds. I've also noticed he's fascinated with the little push in tab that the box uses to keep closed - I think he'll be figuring out how to open it soon enough. He does play with the actual blocks as well, picking them up, holding them, dropping them, and occasionally trying to eat one. But the funniest thing for me is watching his reaction to mommy and daddy trying to build anything with the blocks. If it gets to be anything more than about two blocks tall, his hands swing in to knock it down.

I tried an experiment yesterday to see if he would care if I built something horizontally, just flat on the floor. Yup, the hands still came out and knocked the blocks in all directions. There's no real smile or laugh at this action yet, but he's definitely watching what mommy and daddy do with his toys before expressing his own artistic vision of organized chaos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now we know that destruction is in their genes, since everyone I talked to that has a boy has confirmed this fact. Apparently, girls aren't. Hmmmmm....next time, I guess. ;)