Monday, July 21, 2008

Take your son to conference set-up day

My company actually had its annual bring-your-child-to-work day recently; thankfully my team has continued to be understanding and supportive of Zachary celebrating this event with me most every Monday!

Zachary in front of a projection screenThis afternoon was set-up/rehearsal for the conference my group is putting on tomorrow and Wednesday for more than 1200 game developers. It's also a Monday, so Zachary came along with me. He certainly makes for a different kind of speaker rehearsal experience! We were stopped at the convention center entrance by staff who had to 'clear him' with the event coordinators on my team, since the conference wasn't supposed to have any children in attendance - I wasn't sure if I should be amused or annoyed. Regardless, a one-minute walkie talkie conversation later, Zachary and I were heading into our conference room. He happily played on the floor while I made sure my talk content looked okay. A few other speakers came in to check on their talks and demos, and here he started getting a little more vocal. It was afternoon nap time (which he's been fighting mightily the last few weeks), so we went and took a bit of a stroll while folks continued their rehearsals. Alas, no sleep was to be had, though the walk did keep him fairly amused, as did the fawning staff from our event team. We came back to our presentation room a little while later, where he had a tasty dinner of fruits, cheese, pita, cheerios, and puffs while other speakers practiced their talks. After dinner, he played for a bit on the floor, not bothered in the least by a game demonstration on the projector behind him with growling monsters, gunshots, and swordfights. He even occasionally looked backwards and up at the towering screen and smiled at it. Everything went smoothly, and we were able to get home not too long after his usual bedtime, where he had a nice baffy time and went to bed after a refreshing bottle. I think it will be bedtime for me too after this post, as I've got two very full conference days coming up!

No comments: