Thursday, April 15, 2010

Click It

Oh-wee!One of Zachary's favorite pastimes lately is to look at his baby brother and call out "Oh-wee!" He's particularly interested in peeking up at him if he happens to be in the pack and play, is getting a diaper change, or is being worn by mommy or daddy. He even alternates talking about Owen and the coveted Elmo as the two boys face each other in their little seat-belted chairs at breakfast time.

Mellow in the pack and playOn that topic, Zachary has recently discovered the joy of seat belts. He long loved snapping things together: legos, trains, his juice bottle's flip top, and plastic containers. A few days ago, when I put him in his "high cha!" for breakfast, he started playing with the safety harness, and was particularly pleased when I helped show him how to attach the buckle. Ever since, any time Meh or I approach something that buckles, it's most certainly been clicked into the connected position by the little man: Owen's car seat, Owen's baby papasan, the ergo baby carrier, shopping cart belts, and so on. He hasn't shown a desire to detach them yet (though the end of meal time often involves one or more rounds of daddy unbuckling Zachary just so he can rebuckle himself).

UpThis morning, Zachary was saying 'juh juh', and I couldn't figure out what it was until I saw that Elmo was being bounced up and down (yes, still by his giant plastic eyes) in rhythm with the words -- "Jump!". His make believe continues to develop, with a "ha" (hello) as he picks up his toy phone before bringing it to us to chat with whoever is on the other line (oddly, still mostly telemarketers). He also has a new more consistent word -- a short but very endearing "no!" has generally replaced "all done" when the context is more about whether he wants something or disagrees with one of our suggestions.

I don't want to hex it, but tonight marks the fourth night in a row of zero crying when we put Zachary to bed. He still occasionally gets up and wanders around his darkened room for a minute or so, but I'm definitely hoping that this indicates the return of the 'happy to be getting into bed' little man who used to look forward to snuggling into bed with his blankie at the end of the day.

No comments: