Quick side story: at the first day of the conference, one of my fellow conference advisors showed up in a shirt that simply had the word "meh." on it. I'm, like, so ordering this shirt. There's also a matching flask, though that seems less likely to be useful in our current lifestyle.
For those wondering, no, I don't think I really caught up on sleep while at my conference -- had to be up by 7:30 am CDT (that's 5:30 am PDT) each morning, kept waking up every few hours even in the nice and quiet hotel room (occasionally with weird waking dreams that my pillow was actually Zachary and I'd been sleeping on him), and was running around helping coordinate the event all day. Granted, Meh and Zachary had the larger coordination adventure of trying to sleep/eat/drive/etc. without a third dance partner. It was so hard to be away from them, though Meh of course continues to amaze (a-Mehz?) me.
So at a little after 12:30 am this morning, I pulled into our driveway, returning from my flight back from Austin. (Despite successfully catching earlier standby flights when the conference wrapped up, the connecting flight was 2 hours late and thus arrived around 20 minutes prior to my original flightplan. Now add a ridiculously long taxi to the gate, SeaTac's little underground tram getting delayed, baggage delays, parking shuttle delays, and finally major construction on the freeway by our house narrowing things down to one lane. Ack.) After a quick unpack/repack, I kind of sort of went to sleep. Well, Zachary was fussing a bit, so I helped soothe him back to sleep first.
At 5:20 am this morning, we were back up, finishing our packing, and en route to the airport by 6 am. Good times! Check-in, security, and getting to the gate all went fairly well (though the tram system was still delayed and jam packed when the occasional tram did show up), and Zachary had a nice little breakfast before we got on the plane.
En route, while we didn't get a whole row to ourselves, Zachary did very well on the flight, occasionally fussing just a bit but always talked down by the classic shush, patting, and/or feeding. I have to say, I was somewhat disappointed by the lack of fawning from the crew and other passengers (though the couple behind us kept making nice compliments every time Zachary locked onto them as an interesting thing to look at while I burped him).
En route, while we didn't get a whole row to ourselves, Zachary did very well on the flight, occasionally fussing just a bit but always talked down by the classic shush, patting, and/or feeding. I have to say, I was somewhat disappointed by the lack of fawning from the crew and other passengers (though the couple behind us kept making nice compliments every time Zachary locked onto them as an interesting thing to look at while I burped him).Our glorious plan of bringing earplugs didn't happen (perhaps next time), but I think we managed to pack everything else pretty well. I had the exact baggage I'd used before, Meh had a similar setup of a backpack and one reasonable-sized roller bag (the giant pallet-sized things people manage to carry on continue to boggle my mind), and Zachary was travelling light, with his stylish diaper bag, Boppy pillow, and car seat.
Zachary is one month old today! That means tomorrow is Zachary's pidyon ha-ben, an ancient Jewish tradition typically involving American silver dollars minted before 1965. Huh? But seriously, it's essentially a celebration for a newborn's one month anniversary -- many family friends are going to be there, and Zachary's grandma has of course organized an excellent brunchy smorgasboard. We're really looking forward to it. But for now, the long delayed sleep calls!
No comments:
Post a Comment