Saturday, September 29, 2007

Breastmilk is best...for pink eye?

My friend C told me about this great parenting magazine called Mothering Magazine (or, if you prefer, MEH-thering MEH-gazine). It has a natural perspective, and I found two fascinating articles there: Your Walking Medicine Chest and More Ways to Use Breastmilk. Turns out, the "medicine chest" really is on your chest. Some alternative uses for breastmilk (besides as nourishment) include treating:

  • eye and ear infections
  • minor skin injuries
  • diaper rash
  • sore throats
  • stuffy noses
  • acne
  • burns and sunburn
  • chapped lips
  • cold sores and fever blisters
  • insect bites
  • skin rash
  • warts

    I started feeling sniffly last week, and prayed Zachary wouldn't catch my cold, but of course he started to sniffle two days after I did. He absolutely detested the saline drops we put in his nostrils, let alone when we tried to use the bulb syringe to clear his tiny nose. I remembered these articles, and also heard that breastmilk would help from the leader of my new parents' support group. Scott managed to procure a tiny syringe, and I squirted some of my precious commodity (don't say it's not precious until you've been hooked up to a pump for 30 minutes and produced a measly 2 ounces) into his gurgly little nostrils. Now, I did this right before Zachary went to bed last night, and he slept for 5 hours, and only woke twice last night in all. I heard no sniffling until around 6:30am. Coincidence? Perhaps...

    Whether or not I will try this remedy on anything else is yet to be seen. I just keep having this image of someone cutting themselves and then a new mother running over exclaiming, "Put away the Neosporin! I have something even better!" as she fumbles with her shirt buttons.

    The human body is truly amazing, but that is just creepy.
  • No comments: