Saturday, November 17, 2007

Daddy's scratchy face

The Selfon menAt last, the page of Pat the Bunny that has sandpaper for daddy's face makes sense and applies to Zachary's dad. During the shiva period, mourners traditionally remain in the home, don't cut their hair or nails, don't shave, and observe a few other restrictions. After these first seven days, the shloshim (meaning "30", as in 30 days) period continues, where the mourner gradually resumes their daily activities -- but the hair/nail cutting and shaving restrictions continue, along with curtailing entertainment, live music, etc. This means that for the first time in my life, I've got the beginnings of a beard; I'd never even tried for a moustache previously.

I'm not sure if Zachary likes it; at one point I was holding him and he got startled (coincidentally?) after brushing his cheek against my face. In the past, he has liked to fall asleep against my face, so I'm not sure if the roughness will hinder that. I'm also not sure if I like it; pretty weird to lick your lips and feel something else right over/under them, and it's a bit itchy at times.

No comments: