Tuesday, November 27, 2007

This flight is not yet rated

(Written on the second leg of our return flight -- Zachary's 8th flight overall, and likely his last for 2007.)

Zachary enjoys Uncle Josh's showToday we took the long flight(s) back to Seattle from mima and papa's house. Zachary was amazing, sleeping the entire first leg, and spending most of the second leg asleep or happily smiling at the most random things (including, of all things, flight attendant announcements to sit back down for upcoming turbulence, and at times possibly in response to the sounds of a few other babies/small children on the flight having minor meltdowns along the way.) Incidentally, I was pretty impressed with all of the other babies on the second, 5 1/2 hour, flight; no major or constant tantrums. I think I most frequently heard the wails of a super cute red headed baby sitting up in first class. D'oh!

In my various travels, I've encountered plenty of different kinds of fellow passengers -- friendly, rude, celebratory, helpful, curious, moderately intoxicated, and of course asleep (whether pretend or for real). Often I end up sitting next to someone else from a related tech or entertainment industry (once I was next to the DP for Charlotte's Web, on his way to Sydney for some location scouting) - I guess that's the nature of flights to and from Seattle. But today's first leg featured, er, likely the most unusual (and perhaps most blatantly disregarding of usual etiquette) candidate from the "entertainment/tech" industries.

The flight was mostly full, though as I previously suspected, US Airways' regular coach seats were indeed far more generously spaced than United's non-Economy Plus. We again shared a row with a gentleman, but there definitely seemed like more room. I could at least retrieve our bags from under the seat without too much contorting. There was a initially an empty window seat in the row in front of us, but a woman sat down in it (in front of Zachary and Meh, and a seat off from me) right as the flight door closed. She immediately took out a large manilla envelope, and not at all discretely, pulled out and held up several large photographs that *cough* immediately tipped me off to her occupation.

Now I'm not one to judge, and I'm hopefully not that much of a prude; I've certainly seen other passengers around me say some inappropriate things, and watch some potentially inappropriate movies on their laptops and such, but I was not expecting to see large-format fashion shots of this lady in varying states of undress. Apparently she must be a nude/semi-nude model, and she decided to use the flight to work on her… demo reel? Portfolio? Home videos? The PowerMac came out even before takeoff, and she was opening and editing a bunch of photos in Photoshop (hey, at least she's somewhat tech savvy I guess?), then playing modelling videos of herself with the sound turned up. I honestly was trying not to watch; US Airways has a fun Cranium-branded trivia video that they run during their shorter flights, and that was keeping us entertained. But any time I glanced anywhere else, there was another bikini picture in my peripheral vision. I felt particularly bad for the guy sitting right next to her, and the other woman in her row who was occasionally holding a baby (that incidentally was otherwise sitting in first class - wow, several lucky babies on these flights!), and definitely happy that Meh and Zachary didn't have a view of this stuff. Privacy screen, anyone?

Our connection was through Charlotte. Top 3 random things about this airport:
  1. Apparently a North Carolina icon?White rocking chairs sitting in a long row in the main concourse. It's like you can be sitting out on your porch. Except you're indoors. In an airport. With lots of people with heavy luggage zipping by. Still, beats those tiny terminal waiting area seats.

  2. The Cinnabon straight across from the aforementioned white chairs. Meh and I had to sample it of course. Yum.

  3. Each bathroom at the airport is attended. As in, a person is waiting to offer towels, mints, soap, and conversation. Strange?
Anyway, a long second flight later, we arrived back home safe and sound, though Zachary reminded us once more of his dislike of car rides by crying most of the way home from the airport. Huge thanks to K and M for being our shuttle service, particularly when the parking structures I usually leave the car at ended up totally full when I called to confirm on the day we left. We had a wonderful time with mima and papa, but it's still good to be home. Now, off to sleep!

No comments: