Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Only 7 shopping days left...

Find the Scoot, Find the Scoot...(Granted, there are technically 15 until Chanukah ends.)

Now I know that everyone loves to listen to holiday music starting right after Thanksgiving (if not before), and particularly orchestral pieces, and more specifically all-new compositions that you can't even really sing along to. But what you were all really hoping for was a recording of the Prague Radio Symphony performing such Christmas music, preferably with a single Chanukah piece thrown in for variety. Well then, have I got the album for you – even better, it’s a double CD! Yes, 21 tracks of tastiness. And one of them (the strategically placed disc 1, track 4, Chanukah Glow) was composed by me.

Several years ago, I got somewhat annoyed with my community orchestra's sparse options for Chanukah music at their annual December "Holiday" (read: Christmas plus token Chanukah piece) Concert - they annually cycled between the same two or three pieces. The pieces themselves were okay (well, except for one in particular that kind of offended Meh, titled something like "Christmas Time Around the World", which was a medley of world Christmas music, and included a Chanukah song representing 'Israel'), but they were always pretty standard medley mashups of the same old tunes.

So I figured what the heck, did a bit of research, found some fascinating and less-known Chanukah folk songs and contemporary pieces, and put them together into a new piece I titled Chanukah Glow, which my orchestra graciously tried out and performed for it's 2005 Chris-, er, Holiday, concert. It was well received by the players and the 50-100 people that attend the community orchestra's concerts, but that was about it. Couldn't figure out how to get it published, or promoted to professional orchestras (who don't seem to generally play token Chanukah pieces at all!), or even professionally recorded. I figured that was the end of things.

Then earlier this year, I heard about an upcoming CD of new holiday music that had an open call for submissions. I put the score in the mail, and several weeks later heard that my piece had been accepted! The conductor was very friendly (and excited to be recording a Chanukah piece; the label's first holiday album was all Xmas), the piece was recorded by the Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra (SOČR) in the Czech Republic in May, and I got an e-mail today that it's now out and available! Look for "Holidays of the New Era: Volume 2" in stores or online venues near you.

  • On Amazon here. (Where it's impressively ranked as a 164,000th-best-seller. The number actually keeps getting bigger as I write this blog entry. Should they even bother showing a ranking after, say, a few thousand?)
  • On NuMusic (the publisher's website) here.
  • Also available on Rhapsody, Napster, iTunes, and other online stores if you don't want to trudge through 2 CDs and 21 tracks just for my one little piece (though I'm sure based on what I've seen from this label in the past that the other pieces are excellent in their own rights). I won't be insulted if you bypass the stellar program notes and such. (Or you can even view them, as well as hearing the original community orchestra's recording on my website.)

And this concludes today's paid advertisement. Tomorrow: back to the cuteness of Zachary.

No comments: