Saturday, February 02, 2008

The rain in Spain

Zachary's verbal development has certainly been taking off in the past few days. Previously it was oohs and aahs, and maybe 'w' sounds the hard way (namely, having his hand in his mouth, particularly when he was getting fussy). But in the last few days, he's started more and more consistently to add other sounds. First it was 'd's, 'g's, and 'n's. Then yesterday he made the 'ee' sound a few times. And last night he started making some more complex phonemes, with 'bla', 'gra' and 'droo', among others. I feel like I go should find some giant phoneme chart and start checking off sounds as he makes him to see if we can get a Bingo/Connect Four-style game going to keep things interesting.

It's not at all consistent yet, so I don't know if this qualifies as true baby 'babbling' or just general speech development, but it's always fun to hear him trying out a new sound, and to echo it back at him, which often leads to a smile.

No comments: