Friday, November 28, 2008

That belongs in a museum

Indiana ZacharyThe rain has returned to Seattle (did we really expect otherwise?), so grandma, Zachary, and I were looking for an entertaining afternoon activity today while mommy was at work. A friend of Meh's had recommended the Children's Museum up in Everett, so we headed up to check it out after lunch. I wasn't quite sure what to expect - exhibits on being kids through the years? Dolls and toys? In the end, it was totally different than I had envisioned -- in many ways it was basically a giant indoor playground on steroids. I get the feeling that to a large extent, this must be what other children's museums, play areas, and even that Wanadoo City at the outlet mall near mima and papa must be like.

I'm not sure about the moral or philosophical conundrum of charging young children (and the same price as adults at that, which they do at this museum). Should they charge at all for kids who don't yet have a long term memory, and won't be able to take advantage of all of the features of the museum anyway? (Under one year is free; over is the same price as grownups.) Then again, should a parent with six kids in tow just be charged for the parent? *shrug* Regardless, we definitely got our money's worth. Zachary had a great time toddling around, though he of course focused most of his time in a few small areas. His favorites were a hollow tree trunk (which he walked back and forth through maybe ten times); Little man meets cowa giant plastic cow in the 'farmhouse' part of the museum (which he said 'ah ah!' to, since all large animals must make dog noises); and a climbable fire truck with two slides, which he generally insisted on crawling down head-first, despite my attempts to slide him on his tush. We also spent time watching model trains, walking around a black-light room with shiny plastic parts that you could plug into the wall lite-brite style, climbing around the wing of a fake plane, walking around a mock stage set, looking at an italian restaurant set, a vet hospital (complete with stuffed animals in kennels that you could care for), playing with dominoes, and even a large-scale construction area downstairs where you could build your own vehicles. (Think giant-sized tinker toys.) Zachary had a very fun time, though I can definitely see him enjoying this more as he gets older.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a good time watching my grandson walking, climbing, and laughing and watching my 32 year old son playing with dominos! Love, Grandma