Sunday, May 24, 2009

Back in time

The graduate (not pictured: Anne Bancroft)It was a wonderful weekend celebrating my cousin M's college graduation! Well, more of an end-of-week than weekend, since I arrived late Wednesday night and headed back Saturday morning. Anyhow, it was great to be able to stay with family, enjoy the mostly mild Maryland spring days, visit the interesting and entertaining (and only moderately kitchsy) International Spy Museum, sample foods from many yummy restaurants, and spend time with bubbie (Zachary's great-grandmother), aunt I, uncle S, my mom, brother (who I hadn't seen since his wedding!), cousins M and M, and their dog M. And I even got to see high school friend J, who's doing well and is actually living in the same building complex where my grandparents once lived.

Alas, the fortuitous bump to the direct flight I enjoyed on the way there wasn't meant to be on my return trip -- and besides, I thought to myself, the direct flight departed 4 hours later anyway. So of course in the city where I stopped over, the connecting plane was late arriving, thunderstorms kept it grounded for an hour, and in the end, I landed in Seattle 30 minutes after the aforementioned direct flight. There was even another flight from Denver to Seattle leaving 50 minutes earlier at the gate directly across from mine (which as it turns out, beat the thunderstorm entirely), but since the two airlines aren't partners, nothing could be done to make a switch happen.

On the plus side, the timing did allow me to accept an airport pickup from visiting friend M, and I got to spend a bit more time M & K before they headed back home this morning. Zachary had a blast with M & K as well, and apparently has a new favorite Japanese children's song:

We'll miss M & K, and wish them a safe journey home and the very best with their pregnancy and beyond!

No comments: