Sunday, May 03, 2009

Portrait gallery

For the past few months, Meh has been hinting excitedly about a surprise that she's been planning for me for our anniversary. Our anniversary is in July, so I was impressed and/or worried that the project was being worked on this far in advance. Granted, I've done the same to her for years, with what she apparently considers maddening hints of 'I think you're going to like this' and knowing (but not revealing) smiles. Anyway, so I figured turnabout was completely fair play, and I looked forward to July. But then it was explained that it was actually both a father's day and anniversary present, so was it okay if she gave it to me in June? And then, I think Meh got a little impatient and excited to show me, because this morning, American Gothic?there they were, displayed beautifully on our fireplace mantel!

Meh commissioned an artist to create a portrait of us (for our anniverary), and a second of the little man (for Father's Day). What an incredibly wonderful, personal, and totally unexpected gift! She apparently worked with her on picking out pictures, drawing approval sketches, picking the color palette, and creating the final portraits. I was completely oblivious to what might be in the large cardboard tube that arrived a few weeks and her several trips to Michaels last week for matting and framing.

Here's the little man pic, along with one of the photos the artist used as a reference. (Portraits without even meeting the subjects in person? Impressive!)

Lil portrait man He is the very model

The pictures are simply perfect on the mantel, and we've all been enjoying them. Best presents ever, and I certainly don't mind if they're a month (or two) early!

4 comments:

Justine said...

These are simply gorgeous! What a wonderful and touching gift. Meh rules. Who is the artist?

Tereza said...

Those are great! I had been admiring you FB pic and was wondering how it came about. For some reason, though, I thought your anniversary was in July.

Scoot said...

Whoops, it is indeed in July. *blush* I was thinking Little Man's birthday when I typed Father's Day. Retroactively corrected the post. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures. How ingenious of Meh. I would love to see pix of them on your mantel. Miss you guys. What a doll that little guy is!!

Love, Brenda