Now really, how hard could it possibly be to button a onesie that has a grand total of three snap-on buttons? Yet somehow I always manage to be off by a button. It boggles the mind. Perhaps the squirming Zachary has something to do with it?
Then there are the sleepers with buttons all the way down the front - like even down to the feet, and on both sides. Those just mess with your mind, particularly at 4 am. I'm a huge fan of one of his sleepers that's just a long zipper and a single snap button at the top. That one rules. And will likely be too small soon enough week, ah well.
Tonight our good friend S came by to visit from out of town (with in-town friends M & K), bringing over tasty Indian food along with a lovely and very cute basket of baby bath supplies (washcloths, towels, a finger puppet, and a hand puppet) that are all whale-themed. It's great to extend Zachary's repertoire a bit beyond dogs and trucks -- thanks S & A! (Don't get me wrong, dogs and trucks are extremely acceptable. We're convinced that Carters must only sell dog-themed clothing for boys, since we've gotten so many of their clothes as gifts without any duplicates, and all manage to have variations of dog imagery on them. And they're all blue or brown. Or even blue with brown stripes.)
While we're on the topic of infant wardrobe, I'm still trying to decode the meaning of these "sizes" they have. Now one piece that we really liked was marked "0-1 month", and miraculously, the day that he turned a month old, it was too snug and became the first piece of retired apparel. But there are other pieces marked 6-12 months that he already fits into nicely, and conversely a few 3-6 month items that I swear even I could wear in a pinch. Plus there are "0-18 month" items, how is that supposed to work? I remember that when we were first sorting clothes with mima, we measured them up against each other and the actual sizes often had little to do with the labels. Since parents and doctors are always talking in terms of head-to-toe lengths of babies in inches (I like that it's still not considered 'height', even though that's what it is), is there a good reason the clothes don't do the same? If it works for guys jeans... I'd just hate for tall 1-month olds and short toddlers (or at least their parents) to start getting body image problems right off the bat.
One last wardrobe malfunction question relates to the most crucial item here -- the diaper. I can't speak for other parents, but we're seeing "blowouts" multiple times a day. In fact, that's often the first indicator that a diaper change is necessary, that Zachary's and/or mommy's clothes are soaked (somehow I've been mostly spared). Well, maybe that's actually the second indicator, occurring all too shortly after loud noises from Zachary's bottom. Is this just a fact of life, or are we not putting the diapers on correctly? With all of the padding and ribbing and layers of liquid-absorbing material, you'd think some part of that device was designed to help keep stuff from leaking out the sides? *shrug*
Monday, September 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ruthie had the same blowout proble for a while. We tried lots of different brands of diapers, and also tried doubling up with oversized diapers. Nothing helped. Eventually she grew out of it!
-Tait
We just had a couple of blowouts (or "endless lava flows," as I like to call them) several days in a row....his clothes, my clothes, the Boppy, and the changing table cover all went into the wash! Funnily enough, upon discovery of this event, my first reaction is always "Oh s***!" How apropos....
Post a Comment