Friday, November 16, 2007

The First 100 Days

The shiva period for my dad concluded this morning according to our rabbi; as my family debated earlier in the week, the math was actually a bit fuzzy here, though I think I now sort of understand how 7 days of shiva translated into Sunday through Friday morning: the day of the funeral is the first day, that same evening begins the second day (the Jewish days begin at sunset), so Thursday night began the 6th 'day', and shiva isn't observed on Shabbat, so that ends shiva on Friday morning. Regardless, as I've said before, it was very comforting to have friends and family come together throughout the days, for evening services, and to share stories both new and old about my dad.

They obviously haven't met MehWith United being totally inflexible about flight availability, I headed back to Seattle on a 6:50 am flight. The connection was through Chicago, where I walked past a funny new ad for Sony's digital book reader that talks about the devices being "sexier than a librarian". I personally beg to differ of course. But never fear, some librarians are already taking offense, leading to this response from Sony. I think they've already adjusted the campaign; I'm pretty sure the ad I saw had something like "comparison may vary with your librarian." *chuckle* The second leg was oddly on one of the giant 777's - weird to be on one for a domestic US flight, though I won't complain about the extra space and like twenty audio channels and such.

Today Zachary is 100 days old! He's noticeably more active than when I left two weeks ago (though I, and the rest of our family, gladly got to see some of his increasing cuteness when he came to Michigan), and is very responsive to our faces. He and I had some nice play time on tummy, back, and sitting up today. We've noticed he's now often happy and vocal for extensive periods; Meh made this recording while I was gone. Zachary is even (sometimes) starting to master the art of laughing without degenerating into hiccups, though not in this particular recording.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a cute recording!! I particularly like Meredith laughing in the background. :D