Saturday, May 31, 2008

A boy and his toys

Mommy and Zachary in the sea of toysZachary has not yet focused on any one particular toy as his 'security' item. Which on the whole I think is great -- he's interested enough in a variety of toys (and even non-toys; recall his love of menus and airplane safety cards) that if any one were to disappear during our many transits, I'm not even sure he'd notice.

His favorite "toy" continues to be Korby. When I bring Zachary downstairs in the morning and first let Korby out, he (Zachary) gives a squeal almost equalling the ones he makes when we play his favorite music tracks. And he then continues to say "dah" and smile every time I point Korby out to him, whether Korby is inside or outside. When he plays on the floor (or out on the deck), Korby has been very careful but friendly around Zachary, coming up to him, sniffing, and occasionally licking his face. And of course when Zachary is eating, Korby is very interested in staying near those often food-covered hands.

Another fairly new favorite is the pull handles on our kitchen cabinets. They're fairly big and high contrast, and he kept reaching out for them when I walked through the kitchen. So I let him grab one, pulled him back a little so the cabinet opened, and then pushed him back so the cabinet closed. The cabinets have those spring-loaded hinges, so they close very satisfyingly, and Zachary now loves the 'open/closed' game. (I say 'open', he grabs a cabinet handle and pulls it open; I say 'closed' and he either pushes it shut or sometimes just lets go and lets the spring do its work.)

Zachary and his abstract giraffe toyExtrapolating from the menu/airplane safety card enjoyment, we've learned that Zachary loves paper. Junk mail and catalogs actually have a use now (besides keeping our recycling bin full); Zachary will swing them around, crumple them up, and yes, occasionally try to eat them. His favorites are those envelopes with the clear plastic address window in the front - that makes for the most satisfying crumpling noises.

Of course, he still has lots of more traditional toys that he loves - his piano, Mr. Whoozit, plastic toy airplane, rattle, plush toys, books, etc. One of the more cozy and unique (one of a kind actually!) toys is Sheldon, an amazing knitted turtle that our friend K made for him - thank you so much K! Here's a video of him enjoying Sheldon and talking to Sheldon and mommy.

1 comment:

katem said...

love the video!