Monday, May 26, 2008

Bringing in the harvest

And the lawn was *this* big...In honor of Memorial Day, today was my, er, annual mowing of the lawn. It's not quite that bad, but it had definitely been a few seasons, leading to a running joke that we were going to have our harvest in May. At least I can at least partially blame it on the weather; they always say you're not supposed to mow a lawn that's wet, and when in the past few weeks have we had a rain break that lasted long enough to dry out our jungle of a lawn? The point was born out when the lawnmower occasionally stalled in thick patches of grass/moss/weeds, and I'm suspecting once things really do dry out back there that we'll have some nice patches of pre-cut hay sitting out there for Korby to graze on. (Fear not, he got an early start on the grass-eating season by finding a few little piles the lawnmower had spit out.)

Hanging on the porchOn the plus side, the predicted rain for the day turned out to just be a short morning drizzle, so we had glorious weather for the lawn mowing and later for a barbecue with friends M & K. Meh brought out a blanket for Zachary to sit on the deck while I mowed and mowed and mowed (to the tune of what felt like several hundred pounds of grass clippings) and Meh weeded, and in general we got to reclaim a little bit of our backyard from the wilderness. Korby was happy to wander around the yard and even came to say hi to Zachary on the matt - I saw Korby sniffing him and wagging his tail, but when Meh came over to see how Zachary was doing, there was a bit of dirt on his face, so I think some dog licks may have occurred as well.

In the end we had more or less successfully reestablished our lawn; if not a pristine one, at least one where we could see our way across it. Along the way, I found several previously hidden Korby dog toys, a tennis ball, a basketball, and a soccer ball. Talk about hidden in plain sight.

No comments: