Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Can I count this towards miles?

Home with little manToday I headed back home, though not without a minor airport adventure to cap off the trip. I got to the gate respectably early, and other passengers gradually showed up. Naturally, they made an announcement about two minutes prior to the scheduled boarding that the plane was having mechanical trouble. But never fear, there was a replacement plane ready for us -- at the opposite end of Detroit's mile-long main terminal. So off we all went, enjoying a crowded ride on the fancy express trams that go back and forth the length of the terminal. This of course delayed the departure by an hour. They started to board, and I got settled in at my seat. Then I noticed they weren't boarding anymore. An announcement 5 minutes later clued us in -- this plane had a mechanical problem as well, but there was a third plane, and this one would really be able to take us to Seattle. Oh, and it was back down by where the first plane had been. It was at this point that I started wondering if we could request frequent flyer miles for all of the walking we were doing with bags in tow.

Finally, and with another hour delay added in to allow the crew to make it back down to plane #3, we were able to board, take off, and make the long flight home. Which was jostled around by constant turbulence for most of the four-plus-hour flight. The consolation prize? Not even peanuts, just the opportunity to buy $3 packages of M&Ms. Ah, the glamour of air travel.

Okay, enough whining! I was very very happy to return home to a very smiley little man and Meh. It was so good to see them both again, to get to read Zachary his bedtime stories, to have dinner and a quiet evening at home. Hopefully I am indeed now staying local for the rest of the year.

No comments: