Sunday, October 05, 2008

A time to gather stones

Grandma flew home on Wednesday; I followed yesterday, joining my brother, bubbie, aunt, uncle, and close family friends for my dad's unveiling ceremony. I led the brief service (psalms, a few prayers, the actual unveiling of the grave marker, and kaddish), and family and friends contributed their own memories and feelings about what was of course a difficult day for all of us. Hard to believe it was already almost 11 months ago. Of course, no Jewish event would be complete without obligatory food, and there was a nice spread (nope, no shiva cake this time) back at our place while we all caught up on the current goings on with our friends.

The weather was quite lovely, so after the lunch wrapped up and our last guests had departed, my aunt, uncle, and I took my mom's dog Gus for a walk. Wait, who am I kidding? He took us for a walk - he's a 70+ pound yellow lab. Gus is pretty much the complete opposite temperament of Korby - very calm, patient, not food obsessed in the least (there were so many plates, trays, and even dropped food that he totally ignored), other than making sure he always has a full bowl of food. (Korby is more concerned with maintaining an empty, licked-clean bowl.) When the bowl is empty, Gus paws it around to let us know it needs to be refilled -- though he'll just check to make sure it's full, and leave it that way until his next meal.

Tomorrow the rest of the family heads back to their homes on the east coast, and I'll head back to the west coast on Tuesday.

No comments: