Friday, October 10, 2008

Standardized testing

Reading comprehensionWhile I was out of town last weekend, close friends J and S watched Zachary for the day while Meh's choir had rehearsal and a performance. And S happened to have a college assignment to give a young child a standardized development test, so Zachary was a perfect candidate. I'm sorry I wasn't there to see it administered, though then again, I presume the caregiver's presence could affect the results? The Bayley-III test (wow, look at all of the crazy gadgets it comes with!) tests in cognition, language, motor skills, and other areas, and everything gets boiled down to a series of 16 scores that can range from 1 to 19 (8-12 is average). He doesn't yet excel crazily in any areas, but he scored within or near the average in most areas. If you're wondering, his top areas was 'LS' (leisure), so he definitely is good at playing!

Outside of testing, Zachary's newest trick is more proficient vocal responses to questions. If you ask what a chicken says, he says something like 'cluck!' (I think it's more of a "qua", but you be the judge...)

A dog still says 'ah!' in his opinion, but even that's certainly pretty consistent. In other news, Zachary now has a seventh tooth. I don't even recall when it finally came through, but it's part of his ever-frequent smile now. This weekend mommy's in the midst of her long work stretch, so it's guy time! I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with the little man -- even just running silly errands is more fun with him in attendance.

No comments: