Zachary and I have come to know, love, and pretty much depend on the Baby Bjorn for mobility and functionality over the months. He loves the view of the world that he gets, swinging his feet around and making 'mmm' and 'ahh' sounds, particularly as we head out on walks or into a brightly lit store. I love the compact nature of it (travels anywhere), the fact that I basically get both hands free to do things (trying to walking the dog with Zachary in the stroller can be a bit of a juggling act), and just the way that I'm right next to (or at least behind) him and sharing his world perspective.
One of my favorite things that we started doing almost from the beginning was holding hands while walking. He often even grabbed my hand as I held Korby's leash, so it was like he was helping me walk the dog. That's been followed up with him starting to interact more and more with the world from the bjorn -- I mentioned the soda incident, but on the more productive side, when we've got a shopping cart, he frequently reaches out and wraps his little hands around the pushbar and helps push the cart forward.
Why the reminiscing? Two reasons: first, on the rare occasions (like yesterday) when the bjorn isn't available, even seemingly simple tasks tend to get a bit more challenging and I appreciate it that much more. And second, the bjorn is at long last starting to get too small for him -- it sometimes barely buckles closed when he's wearing a puffy jacket, and the amount of weight that it places on my back can get to be a bit of a burden after even short periods. Yup, we're starting to outgrow it, and it's just one of many things that will soon go by the wayside. On the other hand, I love his new comfy sling, which mommy has been showing me how to wear.
Speaking of which, my first demo of the sling was at the library yesterday, where we did our traditional mommy lunchtime visit. We've been intending to get a picture of Meh reading with Zachary for the library's "Read" poster series; apparently you just get a shot in front of a white background, and this fancy software automagically mattes in any of a variety of backgrounds behind you. So we went a little crazy trying to grab shots, none of which really competes with my favorite with Zachary and Mima, but definitely some cute pics - including the moment just before a sneeze.Oh, and if you were wondering, the fact that we read his favorite book a little bit before bedtime wasn't lost on him; when I got him home, bathed, and ready for bed, I tried to read it to him again, and he would have none of it - so we skipped that particular part of the bedtime ritual last night!


No comments:
Post a Comment