A few weeks ago, my friend L (mother of baby E) and I decided to have a talent exchange: she would teach me to sew pants for Zachary, and I would teach her to bake cupcakes. I went to her place and she very patiently taught me how to read a pattern, cut the fabric, and sew the pieces together using her sewing machine. Zachary even obliged by taking a marathon nap, so that I almost finished the pants (made of pirate fabric, by the way). I didn't quite get to finish them, though, and ever since then I had been thinking of how the next time I saw a sewing machine on sale I would snag it. Nevermind that I have no idea how to really use one. I was finally sent over the edge when a mother posted the link to a site with instructions to make your own baby sling on our support group's listserv. Well, I was on a mission. These slings are around $50 (or more!) to buy, and it looked too easy to pass up! I thought I would just go buy the fabric, then beg L to help me sew it at her place. Off I went to the fabric store with Zachary in tow. I picked out some fabric, and was entertaining Zachary by "peepee teepee"-ing in his ear while the sales lady cut it for me, when I saw that they had a sewing machine on sale. I took it.
When I got to the car, I called Scoot and the conversation went something like this:
Me: "Hi, don't be mad..."
Scoot: "Do I ever get mad?"
Me: "Okay...I bought a sewing machine."
Scoot: "Oh, cool! I can show you how to use it."
Is there anything my husband can't do??? And how many women can say that their husbands taught them to sew?
I really need to teach L to make cupcakes...to regain my domestic dignity.
No comments:
Post a Comment