Thursday, August 30, 2007

Face time

This morning at around 5 am, Zachary and I may have developed our first father-son game. Then again, I may have just been half-asleep and reading more into it than was actually there. Things started at 4 am with soothing, followed by a seemingly simple diaper change going horribly wrong (let's just say that it might be time to more strongly investigate these "peepee teepees". And that wasn't the only projectile of the evening. TMI?)

Anyway, after now changing him entirely, reswaddling, and calming him down the second time, he was still wide awake but mostly quiet, so I took him back to his little bed in our bed, and we were just looking at each other. Well, he was actually looking all around -- he really seems interested in light-dark contrasts, as babies are supposed to, and it was just about dawn at this point. He started waving his right hand around (houdini that he is, he'd already escaped my poor tired attempt at a swaddle), and touched my face. I blew little raspberries/kisses on the hand, and he seemed to actually smile a bit. For the next half hour, he'd wave his hand around, but clearly stop it when it touched my face, I've give it little kisses, and his expression would (seemingly) brighten a bit. Was it a game? Random flailing that stops when encountering an obstacle? No way to know for sure, but it was still nice to be able to share these moments of potential early communication with him, even if it was just one directional, and certainly even at 5 in the morning.

No comments: