
Zachary saw his first movie on the big screen yesterday with friend K and baby N. We saw Death at a Funeral which was one of three mommy-movie options at the theater. I had always wondered what these movies must be like, since they are often advertised before the previews in many theaters. Loud, I had always imagined. Well...yes, it was often loud.
There were about 30 other moms and babes there. The noise level changed in waves: silence would be followed by some babies starting to sigh, fuss, whine, reaching a peak of crying, then petering off to nothing again. Strangely, it was pretty easy to tune out lots of babies, even though one baby screaming would normally drive me batty.
The lights are kept up a bit, so that mommies can see what they are doing when it's time to feed baby (my Hooter Hider worked brilliantly, by the way!). My favorite part was that the ushers came in and offered to take snack orders and bring refreshments to the mommies right in the theater!
I did feel bad for one person there. When we sat down, there was a woman sitting in our row who exclaimed, "Wow, there are a lot of babies here!" Um...I am guessing she bought her ticket from the automated kiosk, because it would be pretty mean for the staff not to let someone know there would be 30 crying babies in the audience of their movie choice.
It was lovely to be out and about, especially in a place where a fussy baby was socially acceptable. I am not sure I am ready to take Zachary to a restaurant or other grown-up space yet, but this was a great way to start to ease back into the outside world!
Zachary showed his enthusiasm for our outing once we got back home by peeing on the wall during his diaper change. Impressive stream trajectory.
1 comment:
Wow! I can't believe you did all that in one day!! I would have been a walking corpse if I'd done all that!!
Post a Comment